Monday, October 02, 2006

Earthquake

Friday morning around nine our country was rocked by an earthquake that measured 5.5 on the Richter scale. I was standing in the reception area of our department, speaking to a fellow employee when the building began weaving like a drunken Frankenstein. Strangely enough I didn’t panic I just stood still and waited to see what would happen next. I remember recently thinking about the scripture that spoke about not being afraid of evil tidings. I still don’t know how I’ll handle other situations but I think I got a better understanding of what the psalmist was saying. Knowing that God is in control of your life: here and in the hereafter gives you calm in these types of situations because you know you can trust Him. Knowing your name is written in the Lamb’s book of Life gives you confidence to look death in eye because you understand that it can’t hurt you.

When it was over and I was making my way down the stairs to exit alongside the other employees I remember repenting before the Lord for anything that might keep me from Him. I’m sure I’m saved but I know I’m not perfect and there is something about facing such a moment that makes you realise you don’t know what the next will bring. We stayed outside the building on the football field that we have to the back, behind the car park for approximately two hours while engineers checked the building for damage. Afterward they let us back in the building but didn’t dismiss us for the day. A lot of people left though some to check on homes and collect children because most schools were let out early. I called family and friends and everyone was okay so I stuck around. Until around half two when the second quake struck then there was no question of sticking. I picked up my bag and left. I admit I was shaken after the second one because strangely enough I was more surprised at that one. It was a wakeup call really. Even though we live in an area that is threatened by hurricanes and earthquakes we always seem to escape the wrath of these natural disasters. A fact that a lot of people take for granted, believing that God is on our side and nothing bad can happen. It seemed God’s way of saying ‘You don’t know what the next moment might bring.’ If it was a lot of people didn’t hear that message. When we broke for lunch some of my coworkers went out to buy lunch when I called them to find out where they were at they had gone to a nearby restaurant/bar. When they returned it was clear to me that they had been drinking. I know people deal with stress differently but I still hope that on some level they realized the uncertainty of the future.

My prayer: Father, help me to face each moment as if it were my last so that I will always be prepared to meet You. I pray for my country, that we will understand our need for you, collectively and individually. Touch the hearts of those that don’t know You Lord and give them understanding of Your great love. I pray especially for family and friends, still lost in the clutches of the enemy. Open their eyes to the truth and if You can use me in some small way to make this happen, use me Lord. In Jesus’ name I pray. Amen.

No comments: