Tuesday, September 12, 2006

A Fixed Heart

Rumours that there was a gas shortage drove many vehicle owners into panic-buying mode this weekend. Long lines formed at gas stations with some motorists waiting hours for fuel. I heard of this morning on a radio talk show while on my way to work. I spent a most relaxing day on Saturday, never leaving my house at all. Hearing the hosts debate the verity of these rumours I was reminded of Psalm 112:7 which says, “He shall not be afraid of evil tiding; his heart is fixed, trusting in the Lord.” (KJV)

How many times when faced with situations do we panic instead of trusting in God. We rush out to try and fix the situation like those people hurrying to fill up their tanks, not stopping to ask God’s input in the situation. Or even just trusting him to make things right. The prophet Elijah when he heard Queen Jezebel wanted to kill him found his heart not fixed on God and he ran and hid, not trusting in the Lord that had just done great wonders for him.

What has God done for you in the past? What has He promised to do? Will you trust Him when there are rumours of employees being laid off on the job or the doctor think s there’s something serious wrong with you? Will you still trust Him if the rumours turn out to be true?

Personally, I’ve often wondered how I would deal with these types of situations. My only answer is to get closer to God. I figure if I get close enough to Him, in my times of trouble I’ll be sure that He’s there. With Him by my side I know I can get through anything.

No comments: