Friday, September 02, 2005

The Customer is Always Right? Says who?

The company I work for recently sent my co-workers and I to a customer service seminar. Of course as in any good customer service seminar (I presume), we discussed the cornerstone of ‘good customer service’ which is that the customer is always right. As a Christian I tend to be very particular about telling the truth (Thou shalt not lie!) so these are not words I could utter convincingly since, well, since I am not utterly convinced of their veracity. It has been my experience (I work in human resources) that the customer could be very wrong at times (hmm… maybe I should say misinformed or ill-advised?) Now if it were said that we should treat the customer as if he is always right, this I am certain would make for good customer service. What do you think?

P.S. As a customer, I honestly probably wouldn’t like this new maxim since I absolutely, positively hate it when people patronize me. However if we do like the Bible says 'unto others as we would have them do unto us' everyone should be happy.

Kelly

No comments: